The Archives Assistant reports to the Director, Special Collections & University Archivist. Working in a collegial and inclusive team environment within Special Collections & University Archives, and the Libraries, the Archives Assistant provides reference and retrieval service to patrons remotely and in the shared Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room, processes and catalogues incoming archival and library materials, conveys information to patrons on unit policies as appropriate, and provides administrative assistance for the university-wide Records Management program.
- Excellent computer and data entry skills;
- Strong communication (writing, conversation, interpersonal) skills;
- Commitment to high quality public service;
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities;
- Performs tasks with care and attention to detail, reviewing work for accuracy and completeness;
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to relate effectively with patrons, UVic staff, and managers with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to adapt to new technologies;
- Physical ability to lift, bend, reach, push and carry a weight up to 18 kg (up to 40 lbs).
- Expertise with a variety of software, including Photoshop, Web Content Management and the MSOffice Suite;
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent
- Completion of archival and/or library technician training.
This position requires 2 years of experience working in an archives or special collections unit of a public institution at a comparable level.
Related work experience should include:
- Experience working with archival and library materials;
- Knowledge of integrated library systems, archival holdings systems, and classification systems;
- Experience working with sensitive and/or confidential information;
- Familiarity with Privacy/Access legislation pertaining to Archives
- Experience working with archival and library databases (records creation, data entry);
- Experience working in academic libraries or a records management unit would be an asset
For more information, please refer to the original job posting: https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/6736